Having the Talk
Moving vs. Staying
- Be Ready for Questions. Do Your Homework. Be sure to make time to do your own research on assisted living options so that you can offer informative facts and details on the process. Invite other important parties to do the same.
- Listening is Key. Hearing and understanding everyone’s wishes and concerns is an important part of the process. Take your time to really listen especially to your mom or dad.
- Timing is Everything. Choose a time when you and your family are at their best, feeling healthy and well-rested.
- Bring in a Trusted Partner. Consider asking a close personal friend, family doctor, pastor or relative to take part in the conversation.
- Patience. Count on a number of conversations and plan on revisiting the discussion. A decision will take time and it’s important not to rush the process.